Monday, March 16, 2009

My New Life

Once upon a time, I worked in the heart of Salt Lake City in a beautiful high-rise building. My company was one of the most successful in the New York Stock Exchange. I was assisting the management of millions of dollars during one of the most volital times in the market. I knew what I was doing and I was good at my job.
I would go to work every day and my work was appreciated and my skills were sought after. I received a pay check every couple of weeks to help me feel even better about what I did. On February 23, 2009, that life vanished overnight...
I grew two milk cartons on my chest and I am milked every couple of hours; Mitch calls me Bessie. This does mean, however, that my skills are still sought after! It is rare that I leave my house because by the time I get Benjamin ready to go, it's time to nurse again and I have to start all over. I don't have a clue what I'm doing minute to minute. But Matlock is great!
I've become a human diaper. Nobody told me how much urine a newborn can produce! My little angel can fill up a diaper in record time and manage to soak whatever outfit I'm wearing at the same time. I have discovered green rocket poop! Last night, I was putting Benjamin to bed. I took off his onsie and was chaning his diaper. I've become pretty good at dodging the "water fountains" that Benjamin likes to make when his diaper is being changed, so I was being very cautious about removing the diaper too soon. I started to take it off and heard a disturbing rumble. I quickly put the diaper back on and held it there for a moment until the rumbinlings were done. I decided it was safe to take a peek. The instant I pulled down that diaper an exposion went off! I screamed and before I could replace the diaper, I was covered in green rocket poop! When I say covered, I'm not exaggerating. It was on my shoulder, face, arms, chest, stomach and even my pants. I looked down at my sweet little boy and he had this huge grin on his face as though he had planned it all along. My husband was no help - he was having a hard time catching his breath because he was laughing so hard. Here is what was left after I rinsed my body off and wiped off what I could from my shirt.

But how could I be mad at this face? Even though my laundry has more than trippled, I haven't had a full night of sleep for months, I can't walk to the mailbox without peeing my pants, and my emotions are a little unpredictable I couldn't think of a better life than the one I have with Benjamin.
It's definately been a huge transition going from a fast-paced work environment to baby talk and changing diapers all day - including my own :), but every time I look at my little son, I'm convinced I've picked the better life. Besides, the volitile market conditions have nothing on the volitile green rocket poops that I have discovered!

15 comments:

Payne Family said...

Oh Haley--Benjamin is darling!! Life can't get any better, can it?

Jacqui said...

Those are such darling photos!

It is a transition, you're right. But this phase for Benjamin will pass so quickly. He'll be rolling and crawling and then walking before you know it.

Kelli said...

Loved this post Haley! The transition from fast paced work world to fast paced mom world is a difficult one! Fraught with green rocket poop and emotional upheaval! You are doing such a great job though! I love to watch you with Baby Ben. You are a great mother and despite what you think you come by it naturally! Keep the faith girl. PS Have you taken him in to visit your office yet?

Jackie said...

Haley, I love you! I need to see you so bad. Your little boy is awesome. I am sorry about all the poop though. I hope that you are feeling important and you can get some sleep soon. :)

Tyson and Marie said...

That is the best description ever. I love it. I couldn't stop laughing about the rocket poop. I can totally imagine the whole thing...including Mitch laughing:) Little Ben is so cute and we haven't stopped thinking about him since we saw you. We need to come over again!

Jessica said...

Yay for the rocket poop! One of life's pleasures right? We've been lucky and haven't had it too bad. Only every now and again. Benjamin is absolutely beautiful and it sounds like you're doing a great job, even though it may not feel like much sometimes. Hope things continue to go so well. Love ya! And miss you!

Steph and E said...

Benjamin sounds just like his daddy

Laura said...

Thanks for the good laugh! I definitely feel your emotions. It is quite amazing the change in life style from work to baby and I have witnessed my own shooting pooh from my daughter the last few days. Who knew it could shoot so far! Anyway,Ben is darling. Just keep looking at that cute little face.

Gina said...

What a great post!! I love how descriptive you are. It sounds like you are loving motherhood . . you're a real naturalÜ Again, we are so happy for you guys. Ben is adorable.

laura j. said...

Haley, that was too funny! Isn't being a mom great? We can't wait to see Ben again. Are you coming up conference weekend?

Teacher Preacher said...

Haley and Mitch,
Your little Benjamin is so adorable. What a great way to watch him grow and also keep track of all the new feelings that parenthood brings including leaving the old life behind. You are both doing a great job of nurturing this new little one.
Love, Mom Rencher

Donny and Mollie said...

Haley,
What a cute baby Ben is! We're glad you joined the motherhood club- it is the best career and the hardest! Thanks for always looking and commenting on our blog!
-Mollie and kids

trent and rach henderson... said...

sounds like fun haley! can't wait to join the club! ha ha. your baby is darling! :)

Leib Family said...

OH MY! You make me laugh! Isnt it just the best thing in the entire world though... seriously!? Mommyhood is the most unexpected, yet most joyful and fulfilling surprise you will ever experience.

Robin Fisher said...

I couldn't stop laughing! Adorable photos, too.