Just a disclaimer that this post is quite long and probably very boring. I am writing it more for myself than anything (to keep a sort of journal of my thoughts).
I was talking with a friend a few days ago who is in the middle of potty training her 2.5 year old daughter. We came to the conclusion that being a mother of toddlers is almost like having a bi-polar disorder.
I am blessed to have so many wonderful sisters - some through birth and some through marriage, all of which are the greatest women God created. In the midst of my venting about being the mother of a very spirited 2 year old boy, my wise sister-in-law gave me some great advice. She told me that if there was a time when Ben (or any of my children) got into something they shouldn't, rather than freaking out, run and get the camera.
I was talking with a friend a few days ago who is in the middle of potty training her 2.5 year old daughter. We came to the conclusion that being a mother of toddlers is almost like having a bi-polar disorder.
I am blessed to have so many wonderful sisters - some through birth and some through marriage, all of which are the greatest women God created. In the midst of my venting about being the mother of a very spirited 2 year old boy, my wise sister-in-law gave me some great advice. She told me that if there was a time when Ben (or any of my children) got into something they shouldn't, rather than freaking out, run and get the camera.
This was one of those moments. Ben and I have been having some rough days with his behavior (and mine) lately. This day I am convinced that Ben was determined to get into everything I had ever told him not to get into. It was very difficult to keep things in perspective. I was reminded of this email that I had read a while back titled "Invisible Mom":One night, a group of us were having dinner, celebrating the return of a friend from England . Janice had just gotten back from a fabulous trip,and she was going on and on about the hotel she stayed in. I was sitting there, looking around at the others all put together so well. It was hard not to compare and feel sorry for myself. I was feeling pretty pathetic, when Janice turned to me with a beautifully wrapped package, and said, 'I brought you this.' It was a book on the great cathedrals of Europe . I wasn't exactly sure why she'd given it to me until I read her inscription: To Charlotte, with admiration for the greatness of what you are building when no one sees.'
In the days ahead I would read - no, devour - the book. And I would discover what would become for me, four life-changing truths, after which I could pattern my work: No one can say who built the great cathedrals, we have no record of their names. These builders gave their whole lives for a work they would never see finished. They made great sacrifices and expected no credit. The passion of their building was fueled by their faith that the eyes of God saw everything.
I closed the book, feeling the missing piece fall into place. It was almost as if I heard God whispering to me, 'I see you, Charlotte. I see the sacrifices you make every day, even when no one around you does. No act of kindness you've done, no sequin you've sewn on, no cupcake you've baked, is too small for me to notice and smile over. You are building a great cathedral, but you can't see right now what it will become.
As all mothers know, being a mother taxes every part of you - and I literally mean EVERY part. Most everything you do is constantly being un-done. The dishes never stay clean, the laundry never stays done, and the house is constantly being lived in, thus needing to be constantly picked up. Your babies cry when their diapers are being changed, even though you are doing it for their benefit. Your toddlers scream and hit you when you are trying to save them from electrocuting themselves by taking the screwdriver away they were about to stick in the outlet. The list can go on and on. It can be a little frustrating at times... and I'm only in the beginning! I haven't reached the hardest years!
Fortunately we have a loving Heavenly Father who does know what we are doing and does notice the work we put in. He has promised us that he will never leave us comfortless.
"Let me suggest that one of the ways whereby the Savior comes to each of us is through His abundant and tender mercies." -David A Bednar
I just wanted to share the tender mercies I have been blessed with:
We blessed Lydia December 26th. What a great day!!
Lydia is a tender mercy all on her own. She is the most delightful baby.
And here is the love of my life (next to his dad).
We had a special visit a week ago. Mitch's mission president from Brazil stopped by while he was in town. He is such a great man and it is always to wonderful to talk with him. His wonderful son-in-law joined him to help translate. (you would think that Mitch could translate for me, but he gets too excited speaking Portuguese that he forgets I don't understand it.) For so many reasons, that visit was an especially needed tender mercy.We are truly blessed!


7 comments:
Oh, you have a little redhead! I love redheads! It's true, we are very blessed even though it's difficult to see sometimes.
Oh my, your little man sure looks like his daddy! He is darling and so is your baby.... That redish hair is to die for!
You are right...raising kids is really really hard, but before you know it, they will all be out of the house, and you will be looking back at that picture of Benjamin with the marker all over his face, and you'll be thinking, "I kinda miss those days!"
Enjoy them...and always have that camera within reach!
Haley, I'm reading this post on a Saturday were Seth will be gone till 8, I've been alone all week, and I am tired. I needed this. You are a wonderful mother and such a great example. I love LOVE you, and that naughty but OH so cute Ben, and little Lydia who is the sweetest thing. And Mitch of course!
I love all the pictures. That picture of Ben with marker on his face is priceless! As a mother I laugh looking at it, but know the frustration that really comes from things like that. At least we are bi-polar together:) Being a mom is the hardest, but most rewarding job ever. Lydia does look like such a sweet little girl. I'm going to call you for a play date this week.
Haley, you are so amazing! I am sad that we don't get together more often. I am sad that I haven't seen Lydia since she was born! Can we come to Provo sometime soon? We sure miss you guys!
I love the picture of Lyds in her blessing dress!!.. and I guess I love the little Lyds herself too :)
Post a Comment